Search This Blog

Friday, July 4, 2008

Two Interesting Days at the Bank

Yesterday we made the trip into Montevideo to attempt to open the bank account with the bank whose agreement with the US Govt allows us to direct deposit our social security payments. We had finally found my SS card (I was not as stupid as I thought- no comments).

As we now went to the bank with the documents requested, it was still up in the air, as to whether it would go through. But lo and behold- it seems like we did it. The key to telling whether a banking operation is progressing (since we really can't figure out what is going on due to our lack of Spanish) is that they start typing into the computer. From then on, it was smooth sailing.

Then today, we went back to MVD, this time to try and get them to deposit the money we had transfered from our US account into our Uruguayan account. Before that we had to get 2 important documents- a copy of the boleta (sales contract) and declaration of dwelling, both of these having to be fully legalized documents. We were really impressed with the documents. They were on special paper, had seals all over them and a special notary stamp (not like a notary stamp in the US, but an actual stamp like a postage stamp). They were truly impressive documents.

So we went to the bank, got our ticket (remember) and waited in line. When we were called up, we stated our case and showed them our papers. First he had to find the papers which substantiated our somewhat significant transfer. They were in a bunch of papers hanging off the divider of his cubicle and paper clipped together. He found one easily, then finally searched and found the other. I was amazed that anything so potentially important was just lying around. It had been over a week since we were there last. After stamping and signing at least 2 dozen papers, making photocopies of our passports (for about the 4th time at this bank), having us sign about 3 separate statements, he began typing. I knew we were in! Finally he told us he was transfering the money into our account and printed out our balance. Whoopee! We can buy the house, now. And also we won't be thrown out into the street. Incidentally, as the papers were signed, initialled and stamped, several sets were tucked under his lunch bag on a corner of the desk. Now I think this points up the general impression I got: that they are very conscious of protocol and very needful of paperwork, but very lax on actually filing the paperwork in any kind of organized manner. I frankly can't imagine how anything gets done- but it does.

Monday is our appointment for the temporary cedula (residency paper) and if all goes well, we may be granted a temporary cedula in a couple of weeks and we will almost be official residents. Till Monday....

No comments: