Search This Blog

Monday, June 23, 2008

Ode to a Bidet

Before going on, I will let you know that I will try to keep this as clean as possible, given the subject (on strict orders from Denise).

All full bathrooms in UY have bidets. Though most of you know what a bidet is, just in case I will introduce you to the most wonderful bathroom facility ever made- the bidet.

IT IS NOT A FOOT BATH

It is a little warm water fountain that you sit on after using the toilet. They place them right next to the toilet, so you can smoothly make the transfer. They can have little soaps near it for convenience and a little towel hanging there, also. I have reminded Denise frequently that the little towel is NOT a hand or face towel.

Why do I love them so? First of all- in countries where paper products are pricey- it is a very economical way to clean up. Secondly toilet paper can NEVER get you as clean as a bidet. Of course, they require some getting used to. There are 2 adjustments- water flow and water temperature, but once mastered, you will never go back.

So thanks to UY for making at least one of my dreams come true!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

check out the bidetspa. no extra space needed in the bathroom. luxury cleansing experience! I highly recommend it !

www.bidetspa.com

Wally said...

Neel, if you don't have the space for a stand alone unit- that looks like a good solution.

When we were in Japan, we used a toilet that had a wash basin in the lid of the toilet tank. You washed your hands in the clean water refilling the tank. Economical and handy.

Unknown said...

I just found your blog as I was searching for info on Marindia. I'm Canadian and lived in Uruguay for about a year and a half. One of the things I miss the most is the bidet in every bathroom. It's much superior to the North American form of "cleaning up"! Great blog, my husband and I will visit friends in Marindia in February, this makes me feel like I'm getting back into Uruguayan life again.

Sebastian Fossati said...

Ahh, I miss bidets soooo much. I'm from Montevideo but have been living in Seattle for the last 5 years. If I ever get my own house in the US I'll have to figure out a way of getting one!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog through a friend of mine and I'm laughing my ass off...

Nice job!